In the construction industry there are many strategies to generate and increase profits, including safety. However, with some construction companies, instead of creating a balance, we see a pendulum that swings between productivity and safety, undermining the truth that a safe company is a profitable company.
In this week’s podcast episode, I have a great conversation with Larry Markham, co-owner and founder of SAFE (Safety Associates For Employers, LLC). He stresses the importance of prioritizing safety in the workplace and how it affects profitability, how the safety culture starts at the top and how CEOs can demonstrate this culture personally to their employees. We also talk about making the right financial investments when it comes to safety, and what the safety culture will look like in 5-10 years from now.
Tune in to this episode and gain valuable insights regarding the need for a safety culture in the construction industry.
What’s Discussed in This Episode:
- Larry talks about how his passion for safety was developed [1:49]
- Balancing boosting performance, profitability, and adherence to safety standards [3:17]
- How to balance production and safety [4:06]
- What sets apart the top 20 percent of contractors who adhere to safety [5:33]
- Practical examples of the practice of safety [6:33]
- Safety culture starts at the top and is sustained by those in the bottom [7:26]
- The importance of coaching [8:42]
- The safety coach (who to hire) [9:28]
- Balancing the letter of the law and the spirit of the law in terms of safety [10:34]
- Advice for companies trying to balance regulations and execution [11:44]
- Successful vs failed safety initiatives [12:40]
- Running an effective tailgate meeting in terms of safety [13:55]
- Actionable steps to gear towards a safety culture [17:33]
- Safety leadership and safety management [19:22]
- Making the financial investments towards achieving safety goals [22:05]
- Three immediate actions to perform safety at a high level [25:11]
- How construction CEO’s should spearhead a culture of safety [27:05]
- The safety culture in the next 5-10 years [29:50]
About the Guest:
Larry’s health and safety experiences began in 1978 operating his own businesses. He values quality health and safety compliance and training for employees and subcontractors to better control liability and workers compensation insurance costs affecting bottom-line profit.
In 2011, Larry began training employees and sub-contractors in body mechanics, lifting and stretching warm-up exercises to reduce injuries. He understands challenges employers face with constantly changing regulations to running a profitable business. He assists companies of all sizes in private, public, government, military and mining projects. No job is too big or small.
With a passion for health and safety, Larry, and his wife Cathy, formed SAFE- Safety Associates For Employers, LLC to provide Environmental and Occupational Health and Safety Compliance, Education, Staffing and Training. They offer services to Construction, General Industry and Mining combined with diverse backgrounds and experiences.
Working for business owners and decision-makers, Larry and Cathy deliver results that enhance and improve employee attitudes, efficiency, leadership, performance, profitability, and quality by promoting the value of workplace safety.
- Visit the SAFE website (https://safety4employers.com/)
- Learn more about SAFE trainings (https://safety4employers.com/training/)
- Contact Larry through…
- Phone (775-843-8318)
- Email ([email protected])
Where to stay and eat in Reno:
- The Atlantis Hotel (https://atlantiscasino.com/)
- The Oyster Bar at the Atlantis (https://atlantiscasino.com/dining/fine-dining/sky-terrace-oyster-bar)
Connect with me on LinkedIn. For more podcast episodes, you may also visit my website. Tune in and subscribe to the Construction Genius: A Leadership Master-Class Podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and Stitcher.
Thank you for tuning in!