Angie Simon, President of Western Allied Mechanical, Inc. and incoming President of Sheet Metal & Air Conditioning Contractors’ National Association (SMACNA), joins us today to talk about her thirty-year journey of working for and going up the ranks in the male-dominated industry of construction.
Western Allied Mechanical, Inc. is an $85 million dollar mechanical contractor in the Silicon Valley of California who employs over 220 people. SMACNA, on the other hand, is an industry association representing over 1,800 mechanical contractors in the United States and Canada.
In this episode we cover:
- The slow increase of the number of women working in the construction industry and how Western Allied Mechanical, Inc. has done otherwise with their 40% female workforce.
- What attracted Angie to work in the construction industry and how her stint as a college level competitive athlete has helped in her career.
- How she and her husband successfully maintains work and family life balance through her transition and journey from being a project manager, partner, and now a president.
- The challenges and knowledge that she has gone through and learned from rising through the ranks.
- Three things construction companies can do to successfully hire women to work in the industry.