In this episode of Construction Genius, Eric sits down with Tim Murphy, CEO of the Sacramento Regional Builders Exchange. Their conversation focuses on how to solve the construction industry’s talent shortage by shifting society’s often-misplaced emphasis on a four-year college degree as the only barometer of success, and by emphasizing the opportunities in the trades now available to young people who may not be best served by the traditional college route.
- [00:00:21] A story about Tim’s nephew, who pursued a certificate in welding and found enormous success.
- [00:02:32] Parents’ roles in perpetuating the college emphasis, which doesn’t serve all young people.
- [00:04:50] The social capital college graduates achieve with diplomas from schools like Harvard and Yale, and the need to recognize construction as an integral element to our nation’s success.
- [00:07:50] The ability to pursue a career in the trades and quickly be debt-free and financially successful.
- The increasingly urgent need in the construction industry for skilled labor.
- [00:09:23] Programs offered by the Builder’s Exchange that introduce and mentor high school students interested in pursuing a career in the trades.
- [00:13:11] A story about Eric’s son finding satisfaction in building his own IKEA bed.
- [00:14:46] A realistic path to career success in construction
- [00:16:37] Information on Cap-to-Cap, a local initiative bringing together business leaders and politicians in Washington D.C., to explore ideas for investing tax dollars back into the community.
- [00:17:42] The need for more workforce training funding and opportunities.
- [00:19:09] The often-unexpected benefits of a career in trades, like more time to spend with family.
- [00:22:11] Tim’s favorite local restaurant!
If you are an owner or hiring manager for a construction company of over $20m in revenue, and would like to explore how you can use the ProfileXT assessment to improve recruiting and developing talent go to www.ericanderton.com/contact, and fill out the form. I’ll get in touch with you within 24 hours.
Founded in 1901 and serving 1200 member companies, the Sacramento Regional Builders Exchange is the construction industry’s oldest and largest association in the region. The Exchange’s members include area contractors and subcontractors, suppliers and industry support organizations. The Sacramento Regional Builders Exchange serves the industrial & commercial construction industry by providing education programs, safety programs, bidding information, political advocacy, networking opportunities, and other related information and events for the construction industry within the greater Sacramento Region. Through our Sacramento office we serve Sacramento, Yolo, El Dorado, Placer, Amador, and Alpine Counties.