There are several ways to describe an effective leader. A leader can be strong, passionate, and humble. While all of these traits are essential to leadership success, there is something in leader humility that makes it unique.
In today’s episode, our guest, Marilyn Gist and I discuss what leader humility is and what it is not. Marilyn also explains how humility bridges the power disparity between leaders and employees by making their employees feel seen and heard. She cites real-world examples of how humility has been an effective aid in solving crisis situations in global companies such as Ford and Costco.
Learn more about humility and how you can display it in your leadership by listening to this podcast episode today!
What’s Discussed in This Episode:
- Marilyn’s encounter with Jim Sinegal [02:08]
- How Jim demonstrates leader humility [04:09]
- Relationship between humility and power distance [05:23]
- Leaders’ awareness of their effect to others [08:15]
- Advice for CEOs mentoring new leaders [10:17]
- Show humility in a proactive manner [11:38]
- Perception of a leader [12:51]
- Generous inclusion and leadership [15:08]
- Why leaders don’t include their employees in decision-making [16:50]
- Leader’s humility impact on the organization’s bottom lines [17:48]
- Alan Mulally’s experience with Ford’s crisis [18:33]
- How Alan balanced competing interests [21:09]
- Rebuild a humble model of yourself [25:32]
- Building self-awareness [26:34]
- Helpful tools in building humility [27:22]
- A leader recovers according to their strength [30:38]
- Repairing damaged relationships [31:26]
- Top three things to do to become a humble leader [33:41]
About the Guest:
Marilyn Gist is an educator, speaker, and acclaimed author of The Extraordinary Power of Leader Humility. She is a sought-after speaker for topics on leadership effectiveness and impact. Marilyn’s book about leadership humility brings insight into what is required from leaders to work together with their employees effectively.
- Marilyn Gist Website (https://www.marilyngist.com/discover-extraordinary-power)
- Marilyn’s restaurant recommendation: Il Terrazzo Carmine (https://www.ilterrazzocarmine.com/)
Books mentioned in this episode:
- The Extraordinary Power of Leader Humility (https://amzn.to/35Hyq2l)
Connect with me on LinkedIn. For more podcast episodes, you may also visit my website. Tune in and subscribe to the Construction Genius: A Leadership Master-Class Podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and Stitcher.
Thank you for tuning in!