If you look back on your days as an employee at your first company, would you still be able to remember its core values and strategic focus? Most likely, not. How about if you surveyed your employees, do they know what your values and strategy are? Core values are what helps employees behave in a manner that benefits the company and strategic focus gives them a clear picture of how the business is going to succeed.
What does it take to ingrain the core values and strategy into your employees? That’s what we’re here to discuss in this week’s Construction Genius episode with Bill Schultz, President of W.M. Schultz Construction. We talk about the measures he took to instill the core values and strategic focus in the hearts and minds of his people as well as what lead him into the creation of the 22 service standards.
If you are struggling with making sure your employees share your vision and adhere to your company’s values, then tune in to gain incredible insights now!
What’s Discussed in This Episode:
- What lead to the creation of the 22 service standards [02:25]
- The mistakes made and lessons learned [04:26]
- The company’s core values lie in the heart and mind of the founder [06:21]
- Simpler is better; Less is more [06:39]
- How the 22 service standards were ingrained into the minds of the employees [09:07]
- The core values attract the right people and repel the wrong ones [13:57]
- How the 22 services standards were developed [14:49]
- 22 service standards for 22 working days [17:22]
- The service standards are related to the founder’s core focus & strategy [19:15]
- Why it’s great to build a customer-centric business [20:17]
- Easy jobs draw more competition [21:03]
- Focus on a niche [22:51]
- Finding the balance between customer service, completing the job, and safety [23:54]
- Building relationships with government customers [25:23]
- Bill’s advice to all construction CEOs [26:32]
- How to develop your own service standards [27:26]
- The importance of consistently communicating your core values [28:28]
- Achieving a revenue of $65 million in 10 years [30:48]
About the Guest:
Bill Schultz is the President of W.M. Schultz Construction, Inc., a company based in Ballston Spa, New York, providing services for water and wastewater treatment facilities to bridges, site work, industrial facilities, cast in place concrete, and design-build. Being in business for more than 20 years, it has become one of the dominant players in the construction industry in New York.
- W.M. Schultz Construction Website (https://www.wmschultz.com/)
- Connect with Bill Schultz through LinkedIn (https://www.linkedin.com/in/bill-schultz-a80395198/)
Connect with me on LinkedIn. For more podcast episodes, you may also visit my website. Tune in and subscribe to the Construction Genius: A Leadership Master-Class Podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and Stitcher.
Thank you for tuning in!